Skip to main content

Ethan from Hang10 talks about the Eureka moments,being brutally honest and more

"Family is like music,some high notes,  some low notes, but always a beautiful song", this line definitely defines the Sydney based band Hang10, the four sibling band of Eleanor,  Isabelle, Ethan and Alex. When this family comes together you can expect some beautiful music.What attracted me to the band is their passion, how they use music to convey some amazing messages. I got to go on their musical journey through Ethan's eyes.

This interview was a learning experience for me "Everyone is unique and precious" - Ethan. Now that is something not everyone realizes.
Ethan 


When was that one moment that you realized that music is your passion and you should do more in it?
 I guess through trial and error you work out what you are good at in life and what you are not good at. Guitar was something that I kind of got the knack for quite quickly. I had piano lessons when I was about 7 year old but it wasn't very good. It all changed when I picked up a guitar. I was about 9 or 10. There's something a bit magical about discovering what you are good at and it fuels the passion I think.

Your band is called the Hang10 what is the mystery behind the name, who came up with the name?
We live on the beach so that is a big influence. It is a position in surfing and it also means kicking back and having a chilled day. There is another hidden meaning but it is a secret for now.
Hang10 

Being a part of a band which comprises of all your siblings how hard or easy is it?
Overall it is easy. We know each other really well and are brutally honest with one another. There is no fear of falling out or breaking up. That can be really useful when it comes to getting honest feedback from each other on a song idea. It is also crazy convenient to have all the band members living under the same roof. I can have a song idea and tap Isabelle on the shoulder to lay down some beats or get help with some lyrics. We also jam and rehearse a lot and often quite spontaneously. There aren't really any downsides. We all get on great.
Isabelle

Does being the eldest one add as an advantage when you guys are having creative differences?
 That is a really perceptive question. Ultimately we're all pretty direct with each other and differences of opinion is all part of the creative process.I don't play on the fact that I am bigger or older. I think more important is the ability to communicate musically. Being able to translate ideas into music is key. Because I have been playing a couple of years longer than the others I have advantage there I guess.

You'll happened to release your first album on ITunes how was the whole process like?
The album represents the musical journey so far. It's been a rapid learning curve and I think you can hear that through the album. It has been a heap of fun writing it and recording it ourselves. I have learned so much. At the same time It is really good to draw a line in the sand and define this era of our songwriting in one album. On the one hand it is a finishing point for where we have come so far but also the starting point for where we go from here. It's pretty exciting all round.

As a support to the anti bullying campaign you guys came out with the song What is Perfect , what inspired you guys to come up with something like this?
It is something I believe in to my core. I guess it is how we have been raised to look out for one another and be inclusive when it comes to others. We are very down to earth and always have time for people. People are interesting, amazing and fascinating. Everyone is unique and precious. If the world opened its eyes more to that fact it would be a much better and happier place. I specifically set out to a write a song that encapsulated that idea and encouraged people to be happy in who they are.

Which process of music making do you enjoy the most?
Eleanor
 There are so many moving parts. The best bit is probably the least hard work. That moment of having a good idea for a song. It is a really special moment where this seed of an idea just unleashes this excitement and energy. There's an urgency to get the idea captured, normally recorded onto my phone before it is lost forever. It is like a mini Eureka moment. Annoyingly it mostly happens just as I am about to fall asleep.

Out of all the music videos you guys have shot which one is your personal favorite?
 The video for 100 Miles was filmed in Forster NSW. It was the most gorgeous location. There were some epic sunsets on that trip and we had a blast surfing and stand up boarding. It was great to have that moment in time captured in a video.

With each video being so different than the other, how do you guys come up with the concepts?
Alex
To There are always ideas for videos floating around and so when we come to recording something it has been quite well planned out in our heads for quite some time. Ideas crop up randomly. Over dinner, in the car, wherever but we flesh them out over time.

One message that you try to always convey to your listeners?
 In a word,  LOVE.

What is the next big thing that you are aiming to go for with regards to music?
We are rehearsing and writing in equal measure. We are on a mission to make our mark as live performers. We want people to remember the day they saw Hang10 play and were blown away. We just want to get better and better and better.

Connect with Hang10 on:
Facebook
Twitter
Website

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Airport Romance- Chapter three

This is the moment I know I should say something to her something that would make her feel better, but I am out of words. It is so refreshing to see someone who is so in touch with her emotions. “God, here I am telling you my life story and I don’t even know anything about you. So what are you running from?” saying this her switch has worked again, there is a massive smile on her face and the spark is coming back. “I am running from my work, same old boring story.” “It cannot be that bad, what do you work as?” “ I am an actor.” “An actor, I haven’t met one before, are you any good.” “ Decent, I have a few fans here and there.” “Give me you phone.” “Oh okay, here you go.” I am not sure what she is looking for, but I can see her trying to google something. “You call yourself decent? God how many awards have you won?” “I have  a long way to go trust me.” There it is again she knows I am an actor and just like everyone else she is going to act all weird now. “Lon

Airport Romance- Chapter 8

Kimberly  Marcus has been gone for over an hour now and he still hasn’t called, in the mean time my friends have arrived. Laura and I have been childhood friends and neighbours when we were young. Her father decided to move to Beverly Hills when we were 10, but she got her way and still continued to go to the same school as before which is one of the reasons we have been friends for so long. We  ended up going to the same high school and later she went to Paris for an art course. She now organises art exhibits for established artist , I must say nothing has changed about her she is still head to toe covered with branded clothes though what I like about her is she is super down to earth so wearing a Gucci bag which cost half of peoples monthly wage hasn’t turned her into a snob. Laura’s younger sister Karen and I known each other since I can remember. Laura had stayed over at our place the night her mother was in labour with Karen, I have seen Karen grow in front of my eyes, but w

Dublin's Musical Talet: Jake Suleman

Dublin is one of the most musically sound country  that I have ever visited. If you ever visit Dublin have to visit Temple Bar, the place is so musically sound that it will make you fall in love with it.  Dublin is the place where I came across one of the most amazing and versatile singer till date Jake Suleman. The vocal strength that  Jake is blessed with is unbelievable, he can hit some really high notes and so effortlessly that it will leave you amazed.  Jake has an amazing strength to keep his audience at their toes,his music helps him connect with audience of all ages. How much I saw Jake looks musically sounds because he ended up playing every dedication that was made that evening.  He played my dedication "All of Me" by John Legend, needless to say he was absolutely flawless his ability to give his own personal touch to each song that he plays makes him stand out.  Check him out: https://www.facebook.com/jakesuleman88/videos/647966355304067/ You can conne