Skip to main content

Christian Burghardt talks about his debut single, upcoming album, inspirations and more

I first came to know about Christian Burghardt  via Twitter when during Phillip Phillips national tour people not just tweeted about how good Phillips was but also about how good the opening performer Christian was. Since then I am addicted to his music and totally in love with his debut EP Safe Place To Land. Best part about Christian's music is its very personal and has the ability to get stuck in one's head.  
Christian Burghardt  is a Portland, Oregon, native who is almost done working on his full length album and will be shooting a music video of his single Safe Place To Land. The young Singer/ Lyricist/ Guitarist not only writes and performs his music but also records and  produces it. Christian was also signed by Veteran writer-producer Dr. Luke to his Sony Music imprint Kemosabe Records in partnership with RCA Records. I got to chat with Christian, the super talented and most humble person that I have ever come across.  
Tell us how your journey began to being the pop artist that you are today?
Well I grew up in a fairly musical family. My father sang in high school choir and loved to sing around the house and in the car. He was a big Country and Classic Rock fan and definitely influenced me with his musical tastes. My mother on the other hand was a huge Michael Jackson fan and loved Pop and Disco. Her influence was definitely felt as well.
I would always sing for fun from a young age; The shower, the car, even at football practice or while doing homework. I also picked up the acoustic guitar when I was 14 or so and began learning on my own with the help of YouTube . I've always dreamed of being on the big stage as a performer but never really considered it as a realistic career option until high school when I put together my first band. It was then that I started to realize how much I loved songwriting, recording, and performing. While attending Oregon State University, I sustained a torn hamstring while redshirting on the OSU football team. I got cut from the team and began to take music very seriously. It was around this time that I knew I wanted to be a professional recording artist. I procured management shortly after and then landed my first record deal with Kemosabe Records in 2012! Now I'm releasing my first full length album and beginning the official launch of my career.

You started writing when you were 14, back then what did you write about?
Mostly girls but some songs about life and the things I was going through as a 14 year old. Its actually really hard to remember specifics.

Your songs are very personal yet very catchy what exactly do you aim for while writing then?
     I aim to create an intimate experience for my listeners. I really pour my heart out on the microphone while recording my songs so that people can feel the words I'm singing. I've always loved big choruses that get stuck in your head and I've tried to implement that very thing in my music.

Out of all the songs that you have written which one is the closest to you?
The answer to this question changes regularly. I'm usually super stoked about whatever my newest song is. There are definitely songs that have a deeper personal meaning to me than others but I'm always searching for new sounds and concepts which is why my favorite changes so much.

Who are your musical inspiration?
There is no One inspiration I can pick so I'll list a few:
Jon Foreman
Gavin Degraw
John Mayer
Coldplay
Ryan Tedder
Michael Jackson
Eminem

There was a time when you were almost on the verge of giving up your musical dream,  now when you look back what do you think?
     I'm so glad I didn't,  I have almost quit many times but there was this one time in particular that got real close to becoming reality. Now when I look back at it, I realize it was a test to see if I really wanted it badly enough. How far was I willing to go? How much was I willing to sacrifice. I love being a professional recording artist and truly believe I am where I'm supposed to be.

Your debut single Safe Place To Land is so inspirational, how long or how hard was the whole process?
That song actually happened fairly quickly! I co-wrote "Safe Place to Land" in NY with my producers while recording the EP and it was recorded, mixed, and mastered within several months of conception. I am happy that it became the single because it embodies the struggle I was going through with my Ex-girlfriend during the early phases of my record deal. She meant so much to me. To have a single that captures my feelings for her during that time couldn't be more perfect.

Safe Place To Land is doing exceptionally well it must be a huge boost did you expect this outcome?
Well its doing pretty good so far considering we haven't gone to radio yet. I wasn't really sure what would happen but I knew the song was honest, catchy, and inspiring. Now that I've completed my first national tour using "Safe Place to Land" as the spear-head, I feel much more confident that it will connect with people once it goes to radio.

In one of your interviews you said that I want to see whether or not people can connect to the messages that I am trying to communicate,  do you see that happening?
I do and it's very encouraging. I get personal messages from my new fans telling me how my lyrics have helped them through dark times or just to wake up in the morning. Some just thank me for writing songs that speak to them personally. For me, this makes the work that I put in, all worth it. Its such a rewarding experience.

One of my favorite song of yours is "Spark", would like to know the idea behind the song and how you came up with it?
"Spark" is about living in the moment. Seizing the now. I live my life by setting goals in front of me. The finish lines in the distance but I realized that the precious moments are the ones that happened while climbing to the top of the mountain. The hard work, the failures, the small victories, All of these memories are the ones I cherish when its all over. "Spark" is about truly living and breathing in those moments.

You opened 22 shows for Phillip Phillips national tour in 2014. How was the whole experience and what did you take back from it?  
        It was an incredible experience playing with Phillip Phillips.I went from playing small club venues and bars, to full on arenas in  several weeks.The jump was crazy for me because I had just sustained a throat injury from playing basketball 2 weeks before the tour and was completely incapable of singing at first. I also had only 2 weeks to put together a band and rehearse for the tour. It was a mad scramble but we somehow pulled it off. For me, playing in front of those huge crowds and seeing their positive response to my songs (Which no one even knew of) was sooo amazing . It made me feel like all my dreams were possible and within reach. Like this dream I've had since I was a kid was actually coming true. Now that its over, I miss it. I'm ready for more.

Tell us that one compliment and one criticism that you have got for your music that you can never forget?
My producer Gregg Wattenberg has produced artists like Train, The Goo Goo Dolls, Five for Fighting, Phillip Phillips, OAR, and many more. When I was tracking vocals with him for my Safe Place to Land EP, he told me I was one of the best singers he's worked with. That stuck with me because I'm such a huge fan of the artists he's produced and respect his opinions greatly. It definitely helped with the confidence.
Early in my writing days, I used music as way to vent the hardships I was experiencing in my life because of that, most of my songs were sad, dark or depressing. My manager told me that I needed to start channeling my good feelings into my music. I took that to heart and I believe that it played a part in changing my perspective from a young brooding, acoustic songwriter into the multidimensional artist I am today.

With looks like this you definitely have some serious female fan following, how does that feel?
        I'm so flattered by the female response. Growing up, I felt like my taste in music have always differed from my male friends. I found myself gravitating to more acoustic based music rather than the heavy rock and Hip Hop wave that was trending in my teens. My tastes have always synced better with my female friends. For that reason, I believe my music is easy on the ears and relatable for my lady fans which is why so many have come aboard. I am so thankful for their support.

What are the projects that you are working on and what can your fans expect from you this year?  
2015 should be a great year for the CB Project. My full length album is being finished up and the music video for "Safe Place to Land" is about to be shot. I am also told that we will be going to radio shortly if circumstances permit. Also I will most likely be touring several times throughout the year, I feel like a time bomb just waiting to blow. I can't wait to share everything with you guys, Stay with me!

What can they expect from this full length album?
Over the years, I have written a large collection of original songs that my label (Kemosabe Records) and I feel very strongly about. It's just deciding which songs I want to cut for this album. It's been difficult narrowing it down but I think we are getting very close

To know more about Christian Burghardt go follow him on :

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airport Romance- Chapter three

This is the moment I know I should say something to her something that would make her feel better, but I am out of words. It is so refreshing to see someone who is so in touch with her emotions. “God, here I am telling you my life story and I don’t even know anything about you. So what are you running from?” saying this her switch has worked again, there is a massive smile on her face and the spark is coming back. “I am running from my work, same old boring story.” “It cannot be that bad, what do you work as?” “ I am an actor.” “An actor, I haven’t met one before, are you any good.” “ Decent, I have a few fans here and there.” “Give me you phone.” “Oh okay, here you go.” I am not sure what she is looking for, but I can see her trying to google something. “You call yourself decent? God how many awards have you won?” “I have  a long way to go trust me.” There it is again she knows I am an actor and just like everyone else she is going to act all weird now. “Lon

Dublin's Musical Talet: Jake Suleman

Dublin is one of the most musically sound country  that I have ever visited. If you ever visit Dublin have to visit Temple Bar, the place is so musically sound that it will make you fall in love with it.  Dublin is the place where I came across one of the most amazing and versatile singer till date Jake Suleman. The vocal strength that  Jake is blessed with is unbelievable, he can hit some really high notes and so effortlessly that it will leave you amazed.  Jake has an amazing strength to keep his audience at their toes,his music helps him connect with audience of all ages. How much I saw Jake looks musically sounds because he ended up playing every dedication that was made that evening.  He played my dedication "All of Me" by John Legend, needless to say he was absolutely flawless his ability to give his own personal touch to each song that he plays makes him stand out.  Check him out: https://www.facebook.com/jakesuleman88/videos/647966355304067/ You can conne

Airport Romance- Chapter 7

Kimberly  Thanks to Richard being back in LA doesn’t feel so bad, spending time with him was so much fun. It got fairly late till we got back home all thanks to me, after trying all those ice-creams we hardly had any energy to move till the time I dropped him and got home it was six in the morning. Dad saw me come home when he was leaving for his morning jog, but he didn’t ask anything and nor did I bother to tell him anything. Dad and mom have both been very patient with me, the day when I came back they both where in tears they hugged me and didn’t ask a thing, they did though complain about me not telling them that I was going to be home. We had a nice quiet family dinner that night even my brother Jacob joined us, he is still super annoying and had way too many questions for me luckily mom did put an end to his investigation, I sure did miss my family. I don’t know as of yet if I am going to stay in lA or leave after the wedding so till I come to a conclusion I am going to