Skip to main content

Terri Ann talks about the music industry, her never give up attitude, helping people and more


Terri Ann is an amazing Singer, Song writer. She is great blend of talent and confidence. Her music is inspirational and she is always ready to try new thing. She is a complete package who will sweep you off your feet with her music. Her music is must listen, it was a delight to get a chance to interact with her.

You have been singing, dancing and acting your whole life, is this something that runs in the family or has been your personal calling
Music and performing have always been something very personal to me, no one else in my family is really musical or theatrical. My family has always enjoyed music though and my brother was the missing member of Oasis when he was about 17 but apart from that- It’s just me, I guess.

Singer, Dancer, Actor, Blog writer that is a lot of talent for an individual to possess, is there something you can’t do Terri-Ann?
Thank you! There are loads of things I can’t do. Math’s being one of them I still have to count on my fingers half the time.

Your first EP “Intricate” was released last year, how was the whole process of putting it together and releasing it been ?
I recorded Intricate at a Sonic Moles Studio in Scarborough, which is where I am from. It was my first big release so it was all new to me. I learnt a lot throughout the process of recording. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I’m the type of person that just says “Let’s go! Let’s get this finished!” Also I got tonsillitis halfway through which was the worst timing ever and slowed things down more.
It was amazing though to see these songs that I had written come to life in the studio. I love it when they take on a life of their own and sometimes even change in sound to the way you first wrote them.
The release was in May last year and the launch party was fantastic. That took a lot of organising, but I had a great team supporting working on the event with me, which helped the night to run smoothly. Then it was just a case of promoting it everywhere to get the word out. Since then I have recorded my second EP ‘Straight Forward’ and that again has been a really great learning experience.


The 50% of  proceeds from your EP ‘Intricate have been donated to breast cancer research, how did you come  up with such a great initiative?
In actual fact, half of the proceeds go straight into the charity pot- the other half goes into reproduction of the CD’s so it’s really 100% of all sales going to Breast Cancer.
I’ve always been inclined to raise money for charity and I ran loads of fundraisers whilst at University with my Dance Society. Unfortunately, cancer is something that everyone understands the severity of and I just thought- if I can make music and give a little something to help make a change then my music means so much more.

Out of all the songs you have written,which is the one that you connect to the most?

I think my song ‘Hunger’ from my EP Intricate.  The song is about continuing to fight for a better in this life, regardless of what is going on around you and what obstacles stand in your path. It’s about never giving up and having the strength to believe in a better you. I wrote ‘Hunger’ based on my own struggles, but a lot of people have told me that they really relate to this song, and that the beautiful thing about music- it belongs to everybody.

The song Mask of Sanity is definitely one song that took me by surprise, what was the whole inspiration behind it?
 I wrote ‘Mask of Sanity’ quite a few years ago and it was the first time I’d worked with the producer on my own material. It was a collaborative effort, but the themes behind it were that fine line between each day sanity and how close we all can be to crossing it. It’s about the mask of “normalness” we all wear every day to function in society, but what happens when that mask is removed?

You have been performing extensively at a lot of amazing venues including the grand theatre which one by far is your favourite venue?
Last year I sang in the Beverly Minster and it was just beautiful. It is such an amazing building. I felt really privileged to have performed there.

It is always said that the music industry is more hard on the female artist than male, do you agree?
I think the industry is hard. Period. It’s not what it used to be, in my opinion, with regards to female artist. I think there are still pressures but not as much to just females anymore. Just as music has evolved, so has individuality and acceptance of uniqueness. I’d like to believe now more than ever that the music is more important that the image but in some cases, this still isn’t true.

What according to you is the hardest part of being an artist ?What keeps you going under all the pressure ?
I think, for me, it’s the weight of running everything by myself. At the moment I work by myself and for myself. I’m sure it would be a lot easier if you had a team of people to help you with bookings, promotions, schedules, etc, but for now it's just me.
You have to be an extremely motivated person to be a musician. You have to be open and flexible and ready to embrace the praise and the rejection.
I think what keeps me going is the fact that I completely in love with music and singing and there is nothing else that I could do in this life. 

You have an amazing fashion sense, one fashion tip you would like to give to all the beautiful ladies out there ?

Oh wow, thank you. I think don’t be afraid to go out and try something new. A new style or color, just try it. Also if you think you look good in something; don’t allow yourself to feel anything other than good. Don’t question your image or put yourself down or doubt your choice- just trust your feelings and don’t be afraid to look gorgeous!  Because you are.

What are you currently working on ?

I recorded my second EP ‘Straight Forward’ early this year and that is currently in production. I also filmed a music video for it which was great, both will be out soon.  I am currently putting a band together to support me for upcoming shows including my EP Launch. Then I’ll be promoting the EP, playing gigs and radio shows and writing new material. Its always go go go but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

You can connect with her on: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airport Romance- Chapter three

This is the moment I know I should say something to her something that would make her feel better, but I am out of words. It is so refreshing to see someone who is so in touch with her emotions. “God, here I am telling you my life story and I don’t even know anything about you. So what are you running from?” saying this her switch has worked again, there is a massive smile on her face and the spark is coming back. “I am running from my work, same old boring story.” “It cannot be that bad, what do you work as?” “ I am an actor.” “An actor, I haven’t met one before, are you any good.” “ Decent, I have a few fans here and there.” “Give me you phone.” “Oh okay, here you go.” I am not sure what she is looking for, but I can see her trying to google something. “You call yourself decent? God how many awards have you won?” “I have  a long way to go trust me.” There it is again she knows I am an actor and just like everyone else she is going to act all weird now. “Lon

Airport Romance- Chapter 8

Kimberly  Marcus has been gone for over an hour now and he still hasn’t called, in the mean time my friends have arrived. Laura and I have been childhood friends and neighbours when we were young. Her father decided to move to Beverly Hills when we were 10, but she got her way and still continued to go to the same school as before which is one of the reasons we have been friends for so long. We  ended up going to the same high school and later she went to Paris for an art course. She now organises art exhibits for established artist , I must say nothing has changed about her she is still head to toe covered with branded clothes though what I like about her is she is super down to earth so wearing a Gucci bag which cost half of peoples monthly wage hasn’t turned her into a snob. Laura’s younger sister Karen and I known each other since I can remember. Laura had stayed over at our place the night her mother was in labour with Karen, I have seen Karen grow in front of my eyes, but w

Dublin's Musical Talet: Jake Suleman

Dublin is one of the most musically sound country  that I have ever visited. If you ever visit Dublin have to visit Temple Bar, the place is so musically sound that it will make you fall in love with it.  Dublin is the place where I came across one of the most amazing and versatile singer till date Jake Suleman. The vocal strength that  Jake is blessed with is unbelievable, he can hit some really high notes and so effortlessly that it will leave you amazed.  Jake has an amazing strength to keep his audience at their toes,his music helps him connect with audience of all ages. How much I saw Jake looks musically sounds because he ended up playing every dedication that was made that evening.  He played my dedication "All of Me" by John Legend, needless to say he was absolutely flawless his ability to give his own personal touch to each song that he plays makes him stand out.  Check him out: https://www.facebook.com/jakesuleman88/videos/647966355304067/ You can conne