Skip to main content

Five Times August talks about his hit single Better With You, reason for staying unsigned and more


Bradley James Skistimas is Rooted in Dallas an unsigned indie artist with his one-man acoustic pop project Five Times August. What I like about his music is the ability to it to connect to once soul, now that is something that a lot of people can't do. His music has the ability to teleport you to a better place.
Bradley tell us where the whole journey to being this sensational artist that you are today start? 
Well, the whole journey might take a while, maybe I should write a book.But, in a nutshell, I started playing guitar at 11 years old and began writing my own songs when I was about 14 years old. By the end of High School I knew I wanted to be a musician and eventually started Five Times August right before I turned 18. I’m 31 now so it’s been quite a long journey, a third of my life.

You started using the title  “Five Times August” to promote songs rather than your actual name which is very unusual for an artist, didn't you want your name to be everywhere like most artists do? 
It wasn’t so much about wanting my name to be everywhere, I just didn’t think people would walk away remembering “Brad Skistimas.” It’s a tough last name to remember the first time you hear it and I had so many teachers in school mispronounce it I decided a band name was probably a better identity. My birthday is August 5th and figured since it’s a one-man project I would theme it to something personal like that. So I came up with Five Times August and thought it sounded cool and stuck with it.

With your song "Better With You" getting licensed and being used on the reality series Laguna Beach how drastically did things change for you? 
That was the first time my music was “out there” and the Laguna fan base was so huge at the time, it really afforded me the opportunity to start touring the country. I was making real fans for the first time and could see my dreams becoming a reality after that song was featured on the show. I’ll always be grateful for that exposure, it was so important to my career.

With every other artist working towards getting signed, why have you remained unsigned?  Is it been a personal choice? 
When I started Five Times August my goal was to get on a record label. By the time I started meeting with labels, however, it didn’t feel like the right thing to do. I was accomplishing things on my own and had heard so many horror stories on artists getting dropped or shelved, I never found the right label and decided to stay independent. I’m still interested in finding a label. The hardest part is relaying to the fans the fact that because I am independent I really need their support and every song or album sale counts. I don’t have a bunch of people pushing my music to the radio or anything, so I’m not making big bucks like Taylor Swift or Coldplay. I can’t sustain on streaming royalties so as great as Spotify and YouTube are, I’m always hoping every person that connects to the music ultimately decides to buy it on iTunes or get a CD from the website. Those are the things that allow me to be my own label.

From the bands first album The Independent to it’s latest single This Too Shall Pass.  How has the journey been? 
Most of the songs on The Independent were written in my early 20’s as a young guy seeking love and writing about personal break ups. I’ve grown up a lot since then. I’m married, have two little boys, toured the country there and back again. I have a lot more life experience in general so my writing is a little more mature now.

It's been almost more than a decade since your journey started,what keeps you going still? 
Honestly, it’s just in me to keep going. It will always be my passion to create music and share it with whoever will listen. It doesn’t matter if I have 10 fans or millions of fans, I’ll always be doing it.

Your latest single "This Too Shall Pass" what was the inspiration behind it?
It just sort of flowed out of me. Some songs take a while to write and that one in particular was finished in a couple hours, which are usually the best songs anyway. For me, the song is about looking back on life, taking it all in, and being okay that all those things are in the past. The best has yet to come, no matter how difficult times are now or will be. It’s always getting better.

You have performed at so many different places which one place or performance is one that you clearly remember and can never forget?
I got to record in Sun Studio in Memphis in 2008 and again in 2009. That’s the legendary studio Elvis and Johnny Cash got their start so it was an honour to follow in their footsteps and sing my own songs in the same room so many classics were recorded. I’ll never forget that.

You have had the honour of working with so many great musicians, what is it that you take from these experiences? 
I love working with musicians that are older than me and have “been around” a little longer than I have. It’s like being in school and they always have great stories. Mainly I admire their gift at creating music and their dedication to their instrument. It’s always inspirational to see someone know their instrument so well they can play anything and make it sound like heaven, even if it’s just one note.

Tell us more about your much anticipated "The Cover Song Series" which all songs are you planning to take up? 
The Cover Song Series is just an opportunity to choose a song I’ve always loved by someone else and do my own interpretation of it. I think it will be a cool way to let people know what kind of artists I listen to and love. I’m not sure what will be next,but I’ve been covering Fleetwood Mac’s Landslide for years. It may be time to do a studio version.

What can the fan expect out of Five Times August in 2015?
I’m hoping to release something new every month. Whether it’s a cover song, a live E.P., a brand new single, or hopefully a new album. I want to keep you guys interested and entertained. So stay tuned and stay connected.


You can connect with him on :

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airport Romance- Chapter three

This is the moment I know I should say something to her something that would make her feel better, but I am out of words. It is so refreshing to see someone who is so in touch with her emotions. “God, here I am telling you my life story and I don’t even know anything about you. So what are you running from?” saying this her switch has worked again, there is a massive smile on her face and the spark is coming back. “I am running from my work, same old boring story.” “It cannot be that bad, what do you work as?” “ I am an actor.” “An actor, I haven’t met one before, are you any good.” “ Decent, I have a few fans here and there.” “Give me you phone.” “Oh okay, here you go.” I am not sure what she is looking for, but I can see her trying to google something. “You call yourself decent? God how many awards have you won?” “I have  a long way to go trust me.” There it is again she knows I am an actor and just like everyone else she is going to act all weird now. “Lon

Airport Romance- Chapter 7

Kimberly  Thanks to Richard being back in LA doesn’t feel so bad, spending time with him was so much fun. It got fairly late till we got back home all thanks to me, after trying all those ice-creams we hardly had any energy to move till the time I dropped him and got home it was six in the morning. Dad saw me come home when he was leaving for his morning jog, but he didn’t ask anything and nor did I bother to tell him anything. Dad and mom have both been very patient with me, the day when I came back they both where in tears they hugged me and didn’t ask a thing, they did though complain about me not telling them that I was going to be home. We had a nice quiet family dinner that night even my brother Jacob joined us, he is still super annoying and had way too many questions for me luckily mom did put an end to his investigation, I sure did miss my family. I don’t know as of yet if I am going to stay in lA or leave after the wedding so till I come to a conclusion I am going to

Airport Romance- Chapter 8

Kimberly  Marcus has been gone for over an hour now and he still hasn’t called, in the mean time my friends have arrived. Laura and I have been childhood friends and neighbours when we were young. Her father decided to move to Beverly Hills when we were 10, but she got her way and still continued to go to the same school as before which is one of the reasons we have been friends for so long. We  ended up going to the same high school and later she went to Paris for an art course. She now organises art exhibits for established artist , I must say nothing has changed about her she is still head to toe covered with branded clothes though what I like about her is she is super down to earth so wearing a Gucci bag which cost half of peoples monthly wage hasn’t turned her into a snob. Laura’s younger sister Karen and I known each other since I can remember. Laura had stayed over at our place the night her mother was in labour with Karen, I have seen Karen grow in front of my eyes, but w