Skip to main content

My Actions Doesn't Define My People Or My Country

We all have done this at least once may be, we tend to relate some habits, attributes to define a particular community or nationality. We all have created this perception about each other that if you belong to a particular country you tend to behave in a particular manner, which in unfair on way too many levels. 

In the past few months I have been traveling a lot and I get asked questions which surprise me, but now I have started seeing a pattern in these questions, the questions are the same just the people asking are different. I don't know if it has ever happened to you but being an Indian I often get questions like "how come you are reading an english book ?" or "Oh you are a Muslim and an Indian?" or "Do you guys have a lot of wild animals back home?" If as an Indian you are reading this you could find these questions stupid, but there are people out there who really want to know this. 


We tend to create these bubbles about how people from a particular country are and what we need to expect from them. "Oh so you are an Indian I am sure you love spicy food." "You live in England should I get you Gin and tonic?" "Oh you live in the Caribbean you guys sure do party a lot" "You live in Abu Dhabi, do they let you wear jeans? yes they do if you are thinking the same"   


We need to stop judging people by what you think they are and start knowing them for what they are. I could be one of those Indian who hates spicy food or I could be one of those people who lives in England and hates Gin and Tonic. 


I once was told by my teacher you should never guess a person's nationality on the basis of their looks it is always polite to ask someone from where they are and not presume where they could be from.

I am one of those Indian girls who loves spicy food, who has never had a drink in her life, who says water and not whaaater, Who loves to whip and nea nea but isn't too good at it, doesn't mean I am less of an Indian or the rest of my people are like me cause I sure know a lot of Indians who could give anyone a run for their money with their whip and nea nea. 


So it not just us Indian anyone for that matter,next time try to know a person for who he is and not what you think he might be.We all sure are a reflection of our culture and are awesome in our own way cause of our roots, but that doesn't mean that we are similar and there is nothing bad in that.  Next time when you meet someone of another nationality cherish that opportunity to know their country through their eyes you might end up being surprised knowing that none of us Indians ever went to school on an elephant. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airport Romance- Chapter three

This is the moment I know I should say something to her something that would make her feel better, but I am out of words. It is so refreshing to see someone who is so in touch with her emotions. “God, here I am telling you my life story and I don’t even know anything about you. So what are you running from?” saying this her switch has worked again, there is a massive smile on her face and the spark is coming back. “I am running from my work, same old boring story.” “It cannot be that bad, what do you work as?” “ I am an actor.” “An actor, I haven’t met one before, are you any good.” “ Decent, I have a few fans here and there.” “Give me you phone.” “Oh okay, here you go.” I am not sure what she is looking for, but I can see her trying to google something. “You call yourself decent? God how many awards have you won?” “I have  a long way to go trust me.” There it is again she knows I am an actor and just like everyone else she is going to act all weird now. “Lon

Beyond The Tales by Rubina - Chapter 1

Beyond The Tales is a series of blog revolving around the characters Harman and Emma, here is the first chapter stay tuned for more  Chapter 1 In the past few minutes Harman has checked his phone way too many times but nothing has changed, zero new message, zero calls. He has been waiting for half an hour now and he hasn't heard from Emma yet.  This time when he lifts his head from his phone screen he watches Emma crossing the road, he is angry at her but deep down he breathes a sigh of relief seeing that she is okay. Harman picks his bag off the ground and starts walking, Emma finally catches up to him.  "I know you are angry, I am really sorry I am late. These celebs I tell you as always even this one was late for the interview but see I made it on time for your show." Emma works as a page3 journalist in a local newspaper,that is how she first met Harman the famous novelist who she was scheduled to interview and unlike other so called celebs he turned up on

Dublin's Musical Talet: Jake Suleman

Dublin is one of the most musically sound country  that I have ever visited. If you ever visit Dublin have to visit Temple Bar, the place is so musically sound that it will make you fall in love with it.  Dublin is the place where I came across one of the most amazing and versatile singer till date Jake Suleman. The vocal strength that  Jake is blessed with is unbelievable, he can hit some really high notes and so effortlessly that it will leave you amazed.  Jake has an amazing strength to keep his audience at their toes,his music helps him connect with audience of all ages. How much I saw Jake looks musically sounds because he ended up playing every dedication that was made that evening.  He played my dedication "All of Me" by John Legend, needless to say he was absolutely flawless his ability to give his own personal touch to each song that he plays makes him stand out.  Check him out: https://www.facebook.com/jakesuleman88/videos/647966355304067/ You can conne